Here are the third Rivals.com 1-120 rankings of the season.
There are numerous variables at play, chief among them who a team has beaten and where. But while we have a "what have you done for me lately?" mind-set, we consider the rankings a snapshot of the whole season, not just one week; that's why -- at times -- teams are ranked below a team they may have beaten.
We update these every Tuesday at 1:20 p.m. Eastern time, so if your team isn't where you think it should be, check back in a week.
On to the rankings:
Mike Huguenin's Rivals 120
1. LSU (10-0) BUZZ: Last week, the Tigers played Western Kentucky. This week, they play Ole Miss. Hmmm - we're thinking last week's opponent actually is better.
NEXT GAME: Saturday at Ole Miss
2. Oklahoma State (10-0) BUZZ: How is a team with a defense that gives up an unsightly 442.2 yards per game this close to playing for the national title. That same defense has forced a nation's-best 34 turnovers - five more than anyone else.
NEXT GAME: Friday at Iowa State
3. Alabama (9-1) BUZZ: Georgia Southern? Well, one thing's for sure: Wherever they are, Bear Bryant and Erk Russell will be watching and snacking on some Golden Flake chips.
NEXT GAME: Saturday vs. Georgia Southern
4. Oregon (9-1) BUZZ: A cool stat from cfbstats.com - Oregon is last in the nation in time of possession (24:02 per game). That doesn't stop the Ducks from averaging 46.7 points per game, almost two points per minute.
NEXT GAME: Saturday vs. USC
5. Oklahoma (8-1) BUZZ: The Sooners have lost their starting tailback (Dominique Whaley) and the most productive receiver in NCAA history (Ryan Broyles) to season-ending injuries. Still, they could play for the national title.
NEXT GAME: Saturday at Baylor
6. Stanford (9-1) BUZZ: Stanford's rush defense had looked good, for the most part, all season. One problem: The Cardinal hadn't played Oregon yet.
NEXT GAME: Saturday vs. California
7. Arkansas (9-1) BUZZ: The Hogs lead the SEC in total offense and scoring offense. And just think: They lost their best player, TB Knile Davis, for the season in August.
NEXT GAME: Saturday vs. Mississippi State
8. Clemson (9-1) BUZZ: The Tigers pulled off yet another high-wire balancing act against Wake Forest, rallying from a 28-14 deficit to win 31-28 on a last-play field goal.
NEXT GAME: Saturday at N.C. State
9. Virginia Tech (9-1) BUZZ: The Hokies have scored at least 30 points in four of their past five ACC games. The one team that held them below 30? Would you believe Duke, which surrendered just 14 points.
NEXT GAME: Thursday vs. North Carolina
10. Michigan State (8-2) BUZZ: The Spartans may just have wrapped up the Legends Division title this past Saturday with a rare victory at Iowa. They close out the regular season with Indiana and Northwestern.
NEXT GAME: Saturday vs. Indiana
11. Wisconsin (8-2) BUZZ: A win Saturday over the Fading, err, Fighting Illini means Wisconsin would welcome Penn State on Nov. 26 with the Big Ten Leaders Division title up for grabs.
NEXT GAME: Saturday at Illinois
12. Houston (10-0) BUZZ: The Cougars have scored at least 56 points in five consecutive games and six of the past seven. Their defense ain't much, but, hey, when you're averaging 54.7 points, how good does a defense in Conference USA need to be?
NEXT GAME: Saturday vs. SMU
13. USC (8-2) BUZZ: Lane Kiffin has a message for all those who don't think he can coach. ? Well, the old Lane Kiffin would've had a message. The new Lane Kiffin has embraced the SoCal vibe and is keeping a neutral visage.
NEXT GAME: Saturday at Oregon
14. South Carolina (8-2) BUZZ: The Gamecocks have passed for 299 yards in the past three games. That's 299 total. In three games. For a Steve Spurrier-coached team.
NEXT GAME: Saturday vs. The Citadel
15. Boise State (8-1) BUZZ: For the second season in a row, national title hopes get blown up by a missed field goal. That means for the second season in row, Boise could go from dreaming of a BCS bid to spending the bowl season in Vegas.
NEXT GAME: Saturday at San Diego State
16. Nebraska (8-2) BUZZ: "Live from Ann Arbor: The Big Red Horde descends on the Big House for a big Big Ten game!" Nebraska still has BCS hopes but must win out.
NEXT GAME: Saturday at Michigan
17. Penn State (8-2) BUZZ: Problems obviously still exist off the field. On the field, the Nittany Lions still have a legit shot at the Big Ten Leaders Division title - and wouldn't Big Ten higher-ups blanch if Penn State is in the league's first title game. (And imagine if Penn State were to somehow get to the Rose Bowl? Wow.)
NEXT GAME: Saturday at Ohio State
18. Kansas State (8-2) BUZZ: A victory Saturday would put K-State in a great position to nab a Cotton Bowl bid. And good news for K-State's beleaguered secondary is that Texas' passing attack isn't much.
NEXT GAME: Saturday at Texas
19. TCU (8-2) BUZZ: TCU's parting gift to the Mountain West Conference is going to be an unbeaten league record and one more conference title (well, that's the G-rated version of the parting gift, anyway). And, lo and behold, Casey Pachall just threw another TD pass covering 65 yards.
NEXT GAME: Saturday vs. Colorado State
20. Michigan (8-2) BUZZ: Michigan still has a shot at the Big Ten Legends Division title; it needs to win out over Nebraska and Ohio State and have Michigan State lose to Indiana and Northwestern. Hey, it could happen, thought it would be roughly the same odds as Rich Rodriguez being rehired as coach.
NEXT GAME: Saturday vs. Nebraska
21. Georgia (8-2) BUZZ: Mark Richt has gone from "he's gone" to "hey, he could stay" to "you know, he likely will get a contract extension." But if the Bulldogs were to somehow to lose Saturday ? .
NEXT GAME: Saturday vs. Kentucky
22. Notre Dame (7-3) BUZZ: The Irish play their third consecutive ACC foe this week. But they close out the regular season by paying a visit to Mr. Luck and Stanford.
NEXT GAME: Saturday vs. Boston College
23. Southern Miss (9-1) BUZZ: How in the world did the Golden Eagles lose to Marshall, which currently sits at 4-6? They close out the regular season against UAB and Memphis, the two worst teams in Conference USA.
NEXT GAME: Thursday at UAB
24. Texas (6-3) BUZZ: Texas' offense was a no-show in a loss to Missouri. The Longhorns better rediscover some magic on that side of the ball, or they could lose their next three (K-State, Texas A&M and Baylor).
NEXT GAME: Saturday vs. Kansas State
25. Georgia Tech (7-3) BUZZ: Tech has gone five consecutive games without a TD pass; the Jackets have scored 13 rushing TDs in the same span. In their first five games, the Jackets had 10 TD passes and 24 rushing TDs.
NEXT GAME: Saturday at Duke