The Rivals.com recruiting experts have broken down countless hours of film and racked up plenty of frequent flyer miles to see the top prospects compete at events across the country. In the process of evaluating overall talent, several prospects gained notice for their mastery of specific skills.
We've selected the best of the best in each category for every position and ranked them. Rivals.com recruiting analyst Barry Every breaks down the running backs.
5. Jarvis Giles, Tampa Gaither Giles highlightsPARTICULARS: 5-11/175 THE BUZZ: Uses great vision to break into the secondary. Last season, had 20 TDs and rushed for 1,478 yards.
4. Christine Michael, Beaumont (Texas) West Brook Michael highlightsPARTICULARS: 5-11/195 THE BUZZ: Combines great speed with change of direction. Scored 28 TDs on 214 touches last year.
3. Cierre Wood, Oxnard (Calif.) Santa Clara Wood highlightsCOMMITMENT: Notre Dame PARTICULARS: 6-0/192 THE BUZZ: After the first crease, he is off to the races. He scored 34 rushing TDs in '07.
2. David Wilson, Danville (Va.) George Washington Wilson highlightsPARTICULARS: 5-11/192 THE BUZZ: Scored 21 TDs on only 136 touches last season. Won the Nike Indoor National Championship in the triple jump.
1. Chris Thompson, Madison (Fla.) Madison County Thompson highlightsCOMMITMENT: Florida State PARTICULARS: 5-8/173 THE BUZZ: Electrifying back scored 33 TDs on just 187 carries. He reminds many of Warrick Dunn.
5. Washaun Ealey, Twin City (Ga.) Emanuel County Institute Ealey highlightsCOMMITMENT: Georgia PARTICULARS: 5-11/205 THE BUZZ: I saw him drive three would-be tacklers and his own blocker 15 yards downfield in a state quarterfinal game.
4. Cierre Wood, Oxnard (Calif.) Santa Clara Wood highlightsCOMMITMENT: Notre Dame PARTICULARS: 6-0/192 THE BUZZ: Just needs that sliver of space between the tackles and he is headed to the end zone. Style is similar to Darren McFadden's.
3. Trent Richardson, Pensacola (Fla.) Escambia Richardson highlightsCOMMITMENT: Alabama PARTICULARS: 5-11/210 THE BUZZ: Probably the most well-built running back. He should be a fourth-quarter nightmare for opponents.
2. Adaris Bellamy, Dunedin (Fla.) High Bellamy highlightsCOMMITMENT: USF PARTICULARS: 5-9/214 THE BUZZ: Bounces like a pinball off of would-be tacklers. Really keeps his legs moving, reminiscent of Mike Hart.
1. De'Antwan Williams, Woodbridge (Va.) High Williams highlightsPARTICULARS: 5-6/185 THE BUZZ: He may not be the tallest, but he is put together like a tank. He will remind fans of Maurice Jones-Drew.
5. Bryce Brown, Wichita (Kan.) East Brown highlightsCOMMITMENT: Miami PARTICULARS: 6-0/215 THE BUZZ: For a big back, he has serious wiggle and is an excellent receiver out of the backfield.
4. Eric Stephens, Mansfield (Texas) Timberview Stephens highlightsPARTICULARS: 5-8/177 THE BUZZ: Had a tremendous performance at the Fort Worth Nike Camp, causing several linebackers to whiff completely during the one-on-ones.
3. Chris Thompson, Madison (Fla.) Madison County Thompson highlightsCOMMITMENT: Florida State PARTICULARS: 5-8/173 THE BUZZ: Excels as a running back, but also is a total mismatch for a linebacker to cover out of the backfield.
2. Jarvis Giles, Tampa Gaither Giles highlightsPARTICULARS: 5-11/175 THE BUZZ: He can change direction in the smallest of spaces and accelerates extremely well out of the cut.
1. Christine Michael, Beaumont (Texas) West Brook Michael highlightsPARTICULARS: 5-11/195 THE BUZZ: Has both subtle and dynamic moves that make him extremely difficult to tackle in the open field.