January 28, 2011
Big Weekend on tap for the Black Knights
In the past, recruits would "trickle" in after National Signing Day, whereby some would say yes to Army by default. Simply put, the Black Knights were perhaps 3rd or 4th on their list of school ... despite the opportunity to attend one of the finest institutions of higher learning, in West Point.
Well, that was then and this is now. Head Coach Rich Ellerson and his staff have done an excellent job in rebuilding the program and although they are far from where they want to be ... they are also further from where they use to be.
It is crystal clear that it is not only the Army fans that have noticed the turnaround on the football field, but recruits across the country have now taken notice.
Combine that with one of the finest football training facilities in the nation, the uniqueness of an independent status that results in playing in some of more high profile venues, such as Army-ND at Yankee Stadium or the classic Army-Navy game .... Things continue to turnaround on the recruiting front.
With only five days remaining before prospects across the nation sign their letter of intent, the Black Knights will be hosting a huge weekend on campus for Army's double-digit visitors who are expected to arrive at West Point starting today.
GBK takes a peak at those who will be on campus this weekend and for those "notable" prospects, we share our projections (%) on them committing to Army.
Notable Official Visitors
• Bryson McKenzie, RB
• 50/50 -Tough one to read, but getting him on campus is a huge first step.
• Greg Rabb, RB
• 70/30 - Rabb has been recruited well by the staff and should be good to go after his visit.
• Dwayne Randall, RB
• 100/0 - Army commit
• Jalen Rosales, DE
• 95/5 - Heavy Army lean
• Tyrone Brown, DT
• 70/30 - After his visit this weekend, we predict that Brown will be sold on Army.
• Mason Miller, LB
• 80/20 - Miller is an Army lean and should he say yes, he would be solid pick-up (when we think Miller we think Stephen Anderson).
• Chris Carnegie, CB
• 100/0 - Army commit
• Shaquille Tolbert, CB
• 75/25 - Could join Carnegie as another cornerback addition to the 2011 class.
• Cody McCarthy, LB
• 60/40 - McCarthy will be sold on Army after visiting, but will he pull the trigger?
USMAPS Official Visitors
• Larry Dixon, FB
• When you Dixon's name comes up, one often thinks of former Steelers' great, Jerome Bettis. Good things are expected from the big back in 2011.
• Angel Santiago, QB
• Although not the biggest of quarterbacks, Santiago is athletic and has done a good job running the option while at the prep school in 2010. Should be in the battle for position on the depth upon his arrival this summer.
Then we have another group of prospects who are now on Army's radar and are expected their way on campus this weekend.
• Chris Smythe, DL
• James Kelly, DE
• Gavin Maher, DE
• Ryan Willis, LB
• Dylan Anderson, Athlete
• Lawrence Scott
...More... To continue reading this article you must be a member. Sign Up Now!