December 17, 2008
Football Signs Eight JUCO Players
The Blazer football team just got more talented. Eight junior college players signed with the Blazers today (Wednesday) on the first day that JUCO players can sign National Letters of Intent. The list includes five defensive players, a wide receiver, one running back, and a quarterback. All are will be on campus next semester and able to participate in spring practice.
The highest rated prospect in the group is Darrion Wilson, a three-linebacker who is listed No. 45 among JUCO prospects. He's followed by Hiram Atwater, who is No. 78 on that list.
Coach Neil Callaway was pleased with all eight of the new Blazers. "We went into the recruiting process feeling like we had to, and wanted to, sign nine mid-term guys," Callaway said. "We got eight today. We're excited about this group and getting them on campus in January.
"We felt like we were able to address several different needs on our football team," Callaway added.
What is he so excited about? Here's some information on each of the signees, including their star rating from Rivals.com:
* Justin Wells is a three-star defensive tackle from Highland (Kan.) Community College. The 6-foot-4, 285-pound lineman runs a 4.9 forty. Wells is a native of Madison, Ala.
* Derek Slaughter played outside linebacker at Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College, but the 6-foot-2, 245-pound, three-star recruit is slated for defensive end as a Blazer. Slaughter is a native of Jonesboro, Ga.
* Darrion Wilson played defensive end at Jones County (Miss.) Junior College, but will likely be a linebacker in the UAB system. The three-star recruit is 6-foot-2, 220 pounds and runs a 4.6 forty. He is one of Rivals Top 50 JUCO recruits in the nation. Wilson is a native of Tallahassee, Fla.
* Danny White is a three-star linebacker from Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Va. White is 6-foot-2, 215 pound player who runs the forty with 4.6 speed. White is ranked as the 44th best prep school prospect by Rivals.
* Nick Adams is a three-star wide receiver from Fort Scott (Kan.) Community College. The 6-foot-2, 205 pound receiver has been clocked at 4.41 in the 40 and averages 16 yards per catch. The engineering major is a native of Walterboro, S.C.
* Daniel Borne is a three-star running back and teammate of Darrion Wilson at Jones Junior College. The 5-foot-10, 205-pound back has 4.5 speed in the forty. He also received an offer from Memphis. Borne is a native of New Orleans.
* Joei Fiegler is a three-star quarterback from Georgia Military Academy. The 6-foot-3, 199-pound signal caller runs a 4.9 forty and is a native of Milledgeville, Ga.
* Hiram Atwater is a three-star safety from Garden City Community College in Kansas. The 6-foot, 200-pound Atwater has 4.4 speed in the forty. The Decatur, Ga. native also received a scholarship offer from Iowa State before Gene Chitzik took the Auburn head coaching position.
...More... To continue reading this article you must be a member. Sign Up Now!