4. ALABAMA BUZZ: Greg McElroy guided the Tide to a perfect record and the national title last season, his first as the starter. He should put up better passing numbers this season after throwing for 2,508 yards last season. RB Mark Ingram is the reigning Heisman winner, and there are some who say backup Trent Richardson is even more talented.
5. WASHINGTON BUZZ: Senior QB Jake Locker thrived in his first season in a pro-style attack, and he should be even more prolific in his second season with coach Steve Sarkisian. Chris Polk was overlooked in the running-back heavy Pac-10 last season, but he still ran for 1,113 yards and five TDs as a redshirt freshman.
6. USC BUZZ: Sophomore QB Matt Barkley is a rising star, and senior Allen Bradford heads a deep group of running backs. The Trojans could go four-deep at tailback without much of a drop-off.
7. HOUSTON BUZZ: Senior QB Case Keenum could become the first player to throw for 6,000 yards in a season; he is a perfect fit for the Cougars' pass-happy spread attack. Bryce Beall has run for 1,917 yards and 20 TDs in his first two seasons, and he's also a prolific receiver.
8. OHIO STATE BUZZ: Junior QB Terrelle Pryor is physically gifted but remains a work in progress as a passer; he needs to display more accuracy and better decision-making ability. He remains a deadly runner. His sterling performance in the Rose Bowl is something to build upon. At running back, there are veteran options in Dan Herron and Brandon Saine.
9. NEVADA BUZZ: The Wolf Pack became the first team in history with three 1,000-yard rushers in a single season, and two of those guys return -- QB Colin Kaepernick (1,183 yards and 16 TDs) and RB Vai Taua (1,345 and 10). Kaepernick has a funky throwing motion, but he has thrown for 7,076 yards and 61 touchdowns (with just 16 picks) in his first three seasons.
10. UTAH BUZZ: Sophomore QB Jordan Wynn is a star on the rise; he has a strong arm and also is a dangerous runner. The Utes have two big-time runners behind him in Matt Asiata and Eddie Wide. Asiata is a bruiser who has been effective in the past out of the Utes' version of the "wildcat" formation.
12. TCU BUZZ: Senior QB Andy Dalton is a steady performer who threw for 2,756 yards, 23 touchdowns and eight picks last season. He also ran for 512 yards. The Horned Frogs are extremely deep at tailback. Matthew Tucker and Ed Wesley each ran for at least 638 yards last season in backup roles; they also combined for 12 touchdowns. UCLA transfer Aundre Dean, redshirt freshman Waymon James and touted true freshman Ethan Grant also are on hand.