We are unveiling one unit per day and will end Thursday with overall coaching staffs.
The rankings take into account what the players have accomplished, how we think the players will do this season and sheer talent. But production does trump potential.
Here are the special teams rankings. Next up: coaching staffs.
SPECIAL TEAMS UNIT RANKINGS
1. IOWA BUZZ: There might not be a better kicker-punter combination in the Big Ten than the senior duo of Daniel Murray and Ryan Donahue. The Hawkeyes have weapons in the return game, and Colin Sandeman led the conference in punt returns. And not surprising for a team whose coaches put so much emphasis on the little things, Iowa was excellent in coverage last season.
2. NEBRASKA BUZZ: Alex Henery is an elite kicker and punter, and Niles Paul is dangerous on returns. The kick-coverage unit was good last season, but the punt coverage needs a big upgrade.
3. GEORGIA BUZZ: The kicker/punter combination of Blair Walsh and Drew Butler is the best in the nation, and CB Brandon Boykin is a dangerous kick returner. The coverage units need a lot of improvement, though; the kickoff coverage was the worst in the SEC and 117th nationally last season.
4. UCLA BUZZ: Senior Kai Forbath is the nation's best kicker, and sophomore Jeff Locke is among the nation's top punters. The Bruins need to upgrade their return and coverage units, though.
5. FLORIDA BUZZ: P Chas Henry is one of the best in the nation, and the coverage units are strong. K Caleb Sturgis has a strong leg and is capable of making kicks from 55-plus yards, but he must become more consistent. The Gators need a new return man to replace Brandon James.
7. TCU BUZZ: Ross Evans is one of the Mountain West's top kickers, P Anson Kelton is adequate, and Jeremy Kerley is one of the nation's most dangerous return men. The Horned Frogs have strong coverage units, as well.
10. BOISE STATE BUZZ: Kyle Brotzman is one of the best kicker/punters in the nation. WR Titus Young doubles as a dangerous kick returner, and the coverage units should be strong. Boise needs a new punt returner, though.
11. FLORIDA STATE BUZZ: CB Greg Reid led the nation in punt-return average last season. The Seminoles also return K Dustin Hopkins, who has a strong leg but must become more consistent, and P Shawn Powell. The coverage units were OK last season.