HOOVER, Ala. - SEC Media Days never fails to generate its share of interesting quotes and Monday's first day was no exception.
Below, here's a sample of what some of the league's coaches and players had to say to reporters.
• "I heard one time when the Army guys practice against each other, they don't use live bullets. Why do football teams use live hits against each other? Doesn't make sense, so we try to protect each other in all practice" - South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier asked about the Ivy League's decision Wednesday to cut down on full contact practices to two a week and only once during two-a-days.
• "I'm a Florida guy." -Florida coach Will Muschamp when asked how it felt to being a Georgia guy coaching at Florida.
• "Based on our conversations, he'll be back. I don't deal in rumors or message boards. I don't know any good coaches that do that." Muschamp when asked to respond to rumors whether or not Jeff Demps will stick with track and not return for his senior year.
• "It's surprising to me because I think we have some of the best athletes in the country. It's their (media) choice, but that definitely gives us a chip on our shoulder." Florida quarterback John Brantley on the lack of Gators on the various preseason All-SEC teams.
• "It's a league of me. You got to come ready to play each week. If you can finish at the top, then you'll be one of the best teams in the country." - Mississippi State running back Vic Ballard on the toughness of the SEC.
• "Coach (Geoff) Collins and Coach (Chris) Wilson both run around in practice. Both get after you. I can do something wrong or someone else, and it's not even their positions and they'll get after you." - Mississippi State defensive tackle Fletcher Cox on the Bulldogs' new co-defensive coordinators.
• "I never thought he was going to leave. Why would you leave when you have something good? Coach Mullen presses you to that limit, pushes you to the limit, takes you so far and then still pushes you." - Mississippi State quarterback Chris Relf on rumors head coach Dan Mullen would leave after last year.
• "Samuel Clemens, who wrote Mark Twain, somebody wrote his obituary before he died. In his immortal words: The rumors of my resignation are greatly exaggerated. So, you're going to have me for a bit longer." - SEC commissioner Mike Slive.
Anthony Dasher is the managing editor for UGASports
and he can be reached via email at email@example.com.