Head Coach Todd Berry had a slight set back in his second year leading the Warhawks, thanks largely to a series of season ending injuries. The injury bug saw ULM slide backwards from a 5-7 record to 4-8, with three of those losses coming by a touchdown or less.
• Only 25 yards of rushing offense were lost from the 2012 season. Those came from Luther Ambrose, who tallied that total on eight carries.
• Junior quarterback Kolton Browning's 2,483 total offensive yards in 2011 was the third best in school history, surpassing Steven Jyles for the position. Browning now holds the second (2,552 - 2010) and third positions.
Pre-Season Game Ball Goes To: Strength &Conditioning coach Joe Girardi - looking up and down the roster, the Warhawks are without a doubt bigger, faster, and stronger as they enter the 2012 season. Girardi was thrust into the position is the spring with the departure of John Grieco for the Oakland Raiders. While none of the players sing Girardi's praises, all are quick to admit that they are in the best shape of their playing careers.
Keep An Eye On: LB Tevyn Cagins. The freshman linebacker has already turned heads in fall drills and continues to show his quickness and great ball hawking skills that landed him a ULM offer. Look for him to possibly make his way into the mix this season.
"I'm all healed up and feel 100% for the first time in years."
-RB Jyruss Edwards.
STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL
Looking Good: Losing just one offensive lineman from last year has this year's group primed and ready to be the best in a while. Look for the additional year of seasoning to payoff big for Ben Risenhoover, Colby Mitchell, and Dillon Jordan.
Still Needs Work: Special teams, especially place kicking, has struggled throughout fall drills. Although there will be no rush for any kicks, accuracy will still need additional tuning before the season.
• S Khari Usher will miss 6-8 weeks with a leg injury
• The Warhawks have added brothers Kameel and Kenzee Jackson. Both will have to sit out for the 2012 season after transferring from Texas A&M Commerce and Oklahoma respectively.
• 2012 signee Tyren Hill did not qualify and has enrolled at Nicholls State.