This isn't one of those free vacation grabs that head coach Norm Chow works so hard to guard against. As things stand now Chandler (Ariz.) Hamilton safety Juwan Jones is interested in Hawaii and plans to use one of his official visits to check out the program.
He won't allot much time for lying on the beach or seeing a volcano. It will be a business trip. Jones plans all concern football. Jones is serious. In fact, Hawaii is the first school he names when asked about his recruitment.
"Right now I'm talking mainly to Hawaii and San Diego State," ones said. "Those are my top two schools right now out of all of them. With Hawaii, talking to the coach, he said that I may have an opportunity to try and play as a freshman or a sophomore. That interests me a lot.
"I'm going to take an official visit after the season."
Jones plans to visit San Diego State on an unofficial visit next month to get a feel for that campus and won't rule out using an official visit for a return trip in the fall. For now, his frontrunners are solidly ahead of the pack. For now, it's down to two. But his shortlist isn't set in stone by any means.
"There are schools, like Arizona, Arizona State and other Pac 12 schools and also Iowa State, that I talk to," Jones said. "If they offered, it could change my opinion and what I look at and could really change things for me. But, for right now, it's between Hawaii and San Diego State."
Iowa State started its courtship of Jones roughly a month ago. No offer has materiel led at this point, but the conversations are ongoing. They've actually grown more frequent in recent weeks.
"Ever since Iowa State first started talking to me, we talk a lot," Jones said. " I talk to the coaches and I message them on Facebook and all that. We have phone calls and talk and get to know the school a little a bit."
Jones says he doesn't intend to make a decision any time in the near future as things stand now. At the same time, though, he won't rule out a quick-triggered commitment. His timetable, it would seem, comes down to what happens in the next few months.
"I'm thinking signing day unless the right school comes," Jones said. "If the right school comes and I like where they're at with me, I'll probably commit. I'm not going to lie. But if the right school doesn't come and I'm still choosing between schools, I'll probably have to wait until signing day."