NFL Draft expert Frank Coyle of www.draftinsiders.com has updated his top 100 prospects for the 2008 NFL Draft.
(List updated: February 18, 2008)
NFL Draft top 100 Prospects
1. Matt Ryan - QB - 6'4" 220 lbs. - Boston College
This smart pocket passer ranks as the top overall prospect in this talented draft class.
2. Glenn Dorsey - DT - 6'2" 300 lbs. - LSU
Dorsey is an explosive tackle who will give his club a dominant and versatile inside presence.
3. Chris Long - DE - 6'5" 285 lbs. - Virginia
A relentless defender, Long is a safe pick because there are no holes in his game.
4. Sedrick Ellis - DT - 6'2" 295 lbs. - USC
Ellis is a relentless inside force who continues to move up the charts.
5. * Kenny Phillips - FS - 6'1" 205 lbs. - Miami
Phillips is an athletic safety who is well developed skill-wise. He is ready for the NFL game.
6. Jake Long - OT - 6'7" 320 lbs. - Michigan
Long is a physical left tackle. He has the skills and college experience to start at either outside position as a pro.
7. *Darren McFadden - RB - 6'1" 220 lbs. - Arkansas
This fast junior running back has the all-around skills to be an impact player early is his career.
8. Brian Brohm - QB - 6'4" 225 lbs. - Louisville
This pocket passer is looking to have a strong NFL Combine effort after missing Senior Bowl week.
9. * Vernon Gholston - DE - 6'4" 260 lbs. - Ohio St.
This athletic end is a force on the outside. He has the burst off the edge to be a top-flight NFL sack artist.
10. Keith Rivers - LB - 6'3" 220 lbs. - USC
Rivers is an athletic outside linebacker who has the speed, instincts and skills to start early in his pro career.
11. * Jonathan Stewart - RB - 5'11" 235 lbs. - Oregon
This underclassman has the size to be a powerful inside runner with the speed to break the big play.
12. * Ryan Clady - OT - 6'5" 320 lbs. - Boise St
Clady is a nimble left tackle who is prepping for a strong Combine effort after a dominant WAC career.
13. * Rashard Mendenhall - RB - 5'11" 215 lbs. - Illinois
Mendenhall is a rugged back who has the ability to be a workhorse in the NFL.
14. * Reggie Smith - CB - 6' 200 lbs. - Oklahoma
This early-entrant has fine triangle numbers (height, weight, speed) and big-play ability. He should develop into a shutdown pro defender.
15. * Calais Campbell - DE - 6'7" 280 lbs. - Miami
This huge defensive end has the ability to become an elite NFL player. He could move into the top 10 with a strong workout.
16. Mike Jenkins - CB - 6' 200 lbs. - South Florida
This athletic corner had an impressive final season and hopes to shine at the NFL Combine.
17. * Malcolm Kelly - WR - 6'3" 210 lbs. - Oklahoma
This big, athletic prospect flashed playmaking ability over his career. He could become a No. 1 option in an NFL offense.
18. Jeff Otah - OT - 6'6" 320 lbs. - Pittsburgh
Otah is a huge prospect who has very good footwork and the triangle numbers (height, weight, speed) to impress scouts.
19. * DeSean Jackson - WR - 5'11" 170 lbs. - California
Jackson is an all-purpose playmaker. He can be an impact performer as a receiver or return specialist.
20. * Derrick Harvey - DE - 6'4" 245 lbs. - Florida
Harvey is an explosive edge pass rusher. He has the burst to make game-changing plays from the outside.
21 . Leodis McKelvin - CB - 5'11" 185 lbs. - Troy
McKelvin is a quick cover man and return specialist. He hopes to display his fine athleticism at the NFL Combine to hold this ranking.
22. Chris Williams - OT - 6'5" 310 lbs. - Vanderbilt
Williams is a big, mobile left tackle who has developed nicely and graded out high against top SEC talent.
23. Kentwan Balmer - DT - 6'5" 290 lbs. - North Carolina
Balmer has shown fine production for the Tar Heels. He has the triangle numbers (height, weight, speed) to impress further in the postseason and solidify his first-round grade.
24. * Felix Jones - RB - 5'11" 200 lbs. - Arkansas
This fast all-purpose performer looks to wow scouts in Combine workouts to guarantee a first-round selection.
25. Early Doucet - WR - 6' 200 lbs. - LSU
National championship winner is looking for another big week at NFL Combine after a solid effort during Senior Bowl week.
26. * Aqib Talib - CB - 6'1" 180 lbs. - Kansas
With some development, this ball-hawking corner has the talent to become a shutdown cover man in the NFL.
27. Lawrence Jackson - DE - 6'5" 270 lbs. - USC
Jackson is an athletic player who had a strong finish to his career. He impressed at the Senior Bowl, and hopes to do the same at the Combine.
28. * Earl Bennett - WR - 6'1" 200 lbs. - Vanderbilt
This underclassman completed a tremendous career in the SEC. We think he will impress NFL personnel at the Combine.
29. Antoine Cason -CB - 6'1" 185 lbs.- Arizona
This rugged corner has good coverage skills and ball skills. However, he faces some questions about his speed.
30. * Curtis Lofton - LB - 6' 240 lbs. - Oklahoma
This explosive junior linebacker was a dominant performer in the Big 12 this season. With some development, he could be a premier pro prospect.
31. * Brandon Flowers - CB - 5'9" 190 lbs. - Virginia Tech
Flowers is a quick, tough corner who has good coverage skills. He has the technique and playmaking ability to match up with the best receivers.
32. * Phillip Merling - DE - 6'5" 270 lbs.- Clemson
This early entrant has been a force in the ACC over the past three seasons. He looks to improve his ranking with a strong NFL Combine.
33. * Branden Albert - OG - 6'6" 335 lbs. - Virginia
This huge junior guard has the talent to play well on the inside. He is quickly moving up several draft boards.
34. * Mario Manningham - WR - 5'11" 180 lbs. - Michigan
Manningham has been a fine playmaker during his Big Ten career, and he is physically ready for the NFL game.
35. Quentin Groves - DE - 6'4" 255 lbs. - Auburn
This athletic outside pass rusher struggled with injuries in 2007 after a strong junior season. He looks to impress at the NFL Combine to move into the first round.
36. Gosder Cherilus - OT - 6'6" 320 lbs. - Boston College
Cherilus is a massive yet athletic left tackle. He had a solid week at the Senior Bowl, and ranks as a first-round bubble prospect.
37. Dan Connor - LB - 6'2" 235 lbs. - Penn St
This rugged inside linebacker has the physical talent, intangibles and production to become a fine NFL starter.
38. * James Hardy - WR - 6'6" 220 lbs. - Indiana
Hardy is a tall receiver who was a force for the Hoosiers in the Big Ten. He had a great 2007 season and can be a big-time playmaker.
39. * Erin Henderson - LB - 6'2" 235 lbs. - Maryland
Speedy underclassman is a fine athlete with big-play ability. He has the talent and toughness to be an early NFL starter.
40. Chad Henne - QB - 6'2" 230 lbs. - Michigan
Henne is a classic pocket passer. He battled through injuries in 2007, and his strong performance at the Senior Bowl answered many questions about his health.
41. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - CB - 6'1" 185 lbs. - Tennessee St
This athletic corner has been a shutdown cover man, but against lesser competition. He answered questions about his ability when he starred during Senior Bowl week.
42. * Letroy Guion - DT - 6'4" 285 lbs. - Florida St
This athletic junior had a better season than teammate Andre Fluellen. Guion is rising fast, and we think he'll have a strong effort in drills at the NFL Combine.
43. Andre' Woodson - QB - 6'5" 230 lbs. - Kentucky
Woodson has great size, but needs to impress at the NFL Combine after an average week at the Senior Bowl.
44. * Steve Slaton - RB - 5'9" 200 lbs. - West Virginia
This fast all-purpose back is an explosive performer who needs to prove durable as a pro.
45. Adarius Bowman - WR - 6'4" 220 lbs.- Oklahoma St
Bowman is a physically talented receiver who should impress at the NFL Combine after an average Senior Bowl showing.
46. * Jamaal Charles - RB - 6' 200 lbs. -Texas
The Longhorns standout decided to join the pro ranks after a big finish to the 2007 season. He is another talent in a very deep running back class.
47. Sam Baker - OT - 6'4" 310 lbs. - USC
This mobile left tackle had an injury-marred final season. Baker had a decent week at the Senior Bowl, but wasn't good enough to grade him a first-round talent.
48. Limas Sweed - WR - 6'4" 220 lbs. - Texas
This physical wideout is still recovering from a 2007 wrist injury that ended his week at the Senior Bowl.
49. Fred Davis - TE - 6'4" 255 lbs. - USC
Davis is a mobile and athletic tight end who has shown fine receiving skills and improved blocking ability. He should be an early NFL starter.
50. Ali Highsmith - LB - 6'1" 225 lbs. - LSU
Highsmith is a savvy, quick outside linebacker. He has the speed and instincts to become an every-down player in the NFL.
51. * Kevin Smith - RB - 6'1" 215 lbs. - Central Florida
Smith is a natural runner who has received a ton of carries at the college level. He has good skills and has an early pro starting grade.
52. Xavier Adibi - LB - 6'1" 225 lbs. - Virginia Tech
Adibi is a mobile outside backer who has fine speed, quickness and instincts. He proved very productive over his college career.
53. * Justin King - CB - 5'11"185 lbs. - Penn St
This agile corner is a very good athlete. He could solidify a top-50 grade if he performs well this postseason.
54. * Ray Rice - RB - 5'9" 200 lbs. - Rutgers
This strong, compact junior tailback has natural skills and is another fine addition to this very strong running back class.
55. Chevis Jackson - CB - 5'11" 190 lbs. - LSU
Big, athletic corner has performed well against top receivers and looks to move up with a big NFL Combine effort.
56. * Devin Thomas - WR - 6'1" 210 lbs. - Michigan St.
This fast junior receiver has come on nicely this season, showing big-play ability as both a receiver and returner.
57. Martellus Bennett - TE - 6'6" 255 lbs. - Texas A&M
This big, physical tight end has the talent and skills to become an NFL star, but he had a frustrating 2007 season.
58. Terrell Thomas - CB - 6' 200 lbs. - USC
Strong senior cornerback impressed against top receivers at the Senior Bowl. He elevated his rating after an inconsistent final season.
59. Andre Caldwell - WR - 6' 200 lbs. - Florida
Caldwell is an agile receiver who has sure hands and a good understanding of the passing game.
60. Jason Jones - DE - 6'5" 270 lbs. - Eastern Michigan
This intriguing and athletic lineman showcased his fine talent at the Senior Bowl with an impressive week. His name may not sound familiar to fans, but scouts know him well.
61. Joe Flacco - QB - 6'6" 230 lbs. - Delaware
This I-AA passer has a very strong arm. He moved up significantly after an impressive final season, and continues to rise after a strong week at the Senior Bowl.
62. John Carlson -TE - 6'5" 255 lbs. - Notre Dame
Carlson is a sure-handed tight end who was a bit lost in the horrible season for the Irish. He needs to impress at the NFL Combine after missing Senior Bowl week.
63. Philip Wheeler - LB - 6'2" 245 lbs. - Georgia Tech
This quick senior linebacker has the versatility to blitz, cover and support the run.
64. Keenan Burton - WR - 6'1" 205 lbs. - Kentucky
Talented receiver/return specialist has shown big-play ability in both roles, but must prove that he has recovered from late-season knee problems to rank higher.
65. * DaJuan Morgan - SS - 6'1" 205 lbs. - North Carolina St
This tough underclassman is coming off an impressive 2007 campaign for the Wolfpack. He has proven to be effective in run support and pass coverage.
66. Donnie Avery - WR - 5'11" 190 lbs. - Houston
The very fast senior wideout had a good week at the Senior Bowl and is ready to burn up the course at the NFL Combine.
67. Chris Johnson - RB - 5'11" 200 lbs. - East Carolina
This fast back displayed big-play ability as a runner, receiver and return specialist in his college career.
68. * Anthony Collins - OT - 6'5" 310 lbs. - Kansas
Collins is a big and nimble left tackle. He developed nicely over the 2007 season and has the tools to be a fine pro.
69. Cliff Avril - DE - 6'3" 255 lbs. - Purdue
Avril is an athletic 'tweener type. He will be highly coveted by teams who run the 3-4 scheme on defense.
70. Quintin Demps - FS - 6' 205 lbs. - UTEP
This athletic free safety displays a combination of speed, quick reactions, instincts and tackling ability. He is one of the top defensive backs in the class.
71. DJ Hall - WR - 6'2" 190 lbs. - Alabama
Hall has good height, weight and speed, and he impressed scouts with a nice Senior Bowl showing against pro-caliber cornerbacks.
72. Jonathan Hefney - FS - 5'9" 185 lbs. - Tennessee
This athletic senior safety has the speed, quickness and instincts to match up in coverage and the ability to come up and support the run.
73. DeJuan Tribble - CB - 5'9" 190 lbs. - Boston College
Tribble is tough, smallish cornerback who struggled through a tough week at the Senior Bowl practices - which has him falling in the rankings a bit.
74. * Pat Sims - DT - 6'1" 320 lbs. - Auburn
Sims is a wide-bodied defender who can stack the middle. He can collapse the pocket and has the explosiveness to make plays along the line.
75. Chris Ellis - DE - 6'4" 260 lbs. - Virginia Tech
Ellis is a quick edge rusher who has shown the burst from the outside to get to - and sack - the quarterback.
76. John Greco - OT - 6'5" 320 lbs. - Toledo
Greco is a physical left tackle who has displayed a fine combination of power, technique and quickness.
77. Mike Hart - RB - 5'9" 200 lbs. - Michigan
This compact tailback has been a consistently productive runner at a high level, but he must show better pass-catching ability to move up the charts.
78. Shawn Crable - LB - 6'5" 245 lbs. - Michigan
Crable is a rangy linebacker with big-play ability off the edge, but he needs to be in the right scheme.
79. John David Booty - QB - 6'2" 210 lbs. - USC
Booty is an efficient passer who recovered from a broken finger to impress at the Senior Bowl.
80. Tracy Porter - CB - 5'10" 185 lbs. - Indiana
Athletic senior cornerback performed well at the Senior Bowl and looks to finish with a strong NFL Combine.
81. Martin Rucker - TE - 6'5" 250 lbs. - Missouri
This pass-catching tight end is athletic and skilled enough to fill all the roles necessary to play the position.
82. Pat Lee - CB - 6' 200 lbs - Auburn
The fast cover man has the athletic ability to become a fine pro after a big final season in the always-tough SEC.
83. Jerod Mayo - LB - 6'2" 230 lbs. - Tennessee
This underclassman showed sideline-to-sideline speed. He has the instincts and tackling ability to finish plays.
84. Charles Godfrey - CB - 6' 205 lbs. - Iowa
This veteran corner had a solid career against NFL-caliber receivers, and displayed that again at the Senior Bowl.
85. Tony Hills - OT - 6'5" 310 lbs. - Texas
This mobile left tackle has recovered nicely from a leg injury and hopes to work out for teams this offseason.
86. Marcus Harrison - DT - 6'3" 310 lbs. - Arkansas
This powerful and athletic tackle was very productive in the SEC. He gave a consistently good effort at the Senior Bowl.
87. Marcus Griffin - S - 5'10" 190 lbs. - Texas
This savvy defensive back hopes to earn NFL starting status like several other recent Texas defenders.
88. Red Bryant - DT - 6'5" 325 lbs. - Texas A&M
Massive defensive tackle flashes big play ability but has been inconsistent. He combines power, agility and quickness between the tackles.
89. Allen Patrick - RB - 5'11" 195 lbs. - Oklahoma
Patrick is a quick tailback who has shown a fine burst to the hole and has the natural running skills to get to the second level. However, he needs to prove that he is healthy after a knee injury.
90. Simeon Castille - CB - 6' 190 lbs. - Alabama
This Tough instinctive prospect has good ball skills and tackling skills, which may warrant a switch to free safety.
91. * Geno Hayes- LB - 6'1" 230 lbs. - Florida St.
This fast linebacker could be the next Seminole defender to impress as a pro. He combines speed, instincts and tackling ability that will earn early playing time.
92. Tashard Choice - RB - 5'11" 210 lbs. - Georgia Tech
Choice is a slashing-type running back who made a fine comeback from a knee injury. He had a solid performance during Senior Bowl week.
93. Vince Hall - LB - 5'11" 240 lbs. - Virginia Tech
Aggressive middle linebacker was a sideline-to-sideline tackler for the Hokies. Hall has good instincts and has shown the necessary ability to finish a play.
94. Dustin Keller - TE - 6'3" 230 lbs. - Purdue
This receiving tight end has been very productive over his Big Ten career. He can give the right offense an added dimension.
95. Matt Forte' - RB - 6'1" 220 lbs. - Tulane
Forte is a big, strong workhorse back who had a dominant 2000-yard rushing performance in 2007. He is eager to show at the Combine that his season wasn't a result of poor competition.
96. Frank Okam - DT - 6'5" 320 lbs. - Texas
Rugged defender is a fine inside run-stuffer with the ability to push the pocket. He needs a fine postseason to make up for an average 2007 season.
97. Tom Zbikowski - SS - 5'11" 210 lbs. - Notre Dame
This tough safety/return specialist had a fine 2007 season for a bad team. He needs to showcase his athletic skills at the NFL Combine to rank higher.
98. DeMario Pressley - DT - 6'3" 300 lbs. - North Carolina St
This quick defensive tackle can be explosive on the snap, and he has shown the power and agility to make plays.
99. Beau Bell - LB - 6'1" 245 lbs. - UNLV
Bell is a versatile and athletic player who needs to light it up at the NFL Combine to move up further on this list.
100. Colt Brennan - QB - 6'2" 190 lbs.- Hawaii
This record-setting passer hopes to recover from a weak showing at the Senior Bowl that has him falling like a rock. It will take a big workout to keep him in the top 150 after the Combine.
These rankings do not correspond to the order in which he projects these players to be selected in the draft. (* - Underclassman)
Frank Coyle is a nationally known NFL scout who publishes Draft Insiders' Digest and www.draftinsiders.com. In it's 16th season, Draft Insiders' Digest is dedicated to year-round coverage of NFL and NCAA Football. He covers the NFL Draft and free agency extensively with a veteran scouting staff that provides insightful and unique information on players and team potential in the coming seasons. Draft Insiders' Digest is an extensive publication that produces 15 issues throughout the year and a Draft Yearbook with over 450 in-depth scouting reports.